Protestors Cause Disruption in City Centre

Two protests have caused disruption in Nottingham City Centre today, as groups from #BlackLivesMatter and the English Defence League make their presence known. 

Update: The tram tracks have now been cleared and are operating, but there will be delays to all services today.

Nottingham Express Transit have tweeted that they are ‘running through on all routes but with delays due to the earlier incidents with the protesters and the poorly passenger we are working hard to get back on time. Thank you for your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.’

Original article:

Members of the #BlackLivesMatter movement have caused traffic in the city to become gridlocked today, due to individuals laying down on the tramlines close to the Royal Centre tram stop.

Nottingham Express Transit states that: “Due to protestors laying down on the track at Royal Centre, we are unable to run a service between Royal Centre and Market Square”.

In a statement released by Nottinghamshire Police on their website this morning, they confirm that “Officers are currently on scene and are negotiating with a small number of protestors”.

“It is believed that the unplanned demonstration is in line with a national #BlackLivesMatter protest”.

“Officers are currently on scene and are negotiating with a small number of protestors”

The disruption linked to the #BlackLivesMatter protests follows the planned closure of the Deliveroo Beach in Market Square due to an English Defence League protest.

Nottingham City Council confirmed yesterday that the Beach will be closed tomorrow (Friday 6th) due to “safety concerns”.

“We don’t welcome groups with extreme views who seek to divide communities”

In a statement released on their website yesterday, the City Council stated that they “had previously made clear that we don’t want the EDL demonstration to take place in Nottingham”.

“Nottingham is a welcoming city where people get along. We don’t welcome groups with extreme views who seek to divide communities and who bring with them the risk of disorder when local people and visitors just want to get on with enjoying their weekend and the many great things that Nottingham has to offer”.

More to follow.

Steven Green

Image: Brian Fagan (via Flickr).