Arts Reviews

Jack and the Beanstalk @ Theatre Royal

From left: If you require a higher resolution image or you have any other Shawn Ryan photographic enquiries, please contact the office on 07527578428 or email shawn@shawnryan.co.uk This image is copyright Shawn Ryan 2017©. This image has been supplied by Shawn Ryan and must be credited Shawn Ryan. The author is asserting his full Moral rights in relation to the publication of this image. Rights for onward transmission of any image or file is not granted or implied. Changing or deleting Copyright information is illegal as specified in the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988. If you are in any way unsure of your right to publish this image please contact Shawn Ryan on 07527528428 or email Contact@shawn-ryan.co.uk Picture by: Shawn Ryan

Where could you possibly find the Chuckle Brothers, Chico from The X Factor and Kenneth the mouthy hairdresser from Benidorm all in one place? A pantomime of course! Not just any pantomime however, but the Theatre Royal’s festive extravaganza, Jack and the Beanstalk!

Our story begins with Jack (Chico), a lowly peasant who falls in love with the beautiful Princess Apricot (Gemma Buckingham), who by some miracle of panto loves him too. Their happiness is threatened by the evil giant who controls the land and the hysterical antics of Jack’s mother Dame Trot (Tony Maudsley) and his brothers Paul and Barry (the Chuckle Brothers).

”The whole audience were given a pair of 3D glasses as they entered the theatre, and whilst the 3D aspects didn’t occur until during the second half, it was well worth the wait!’’

The overall spectacle of this panto was fantastic, from the giant inflatable beanstalk to the extravagant sets and costumes. No expense was spared, especially not in Dame Trot’s increasingly outlandish attire, which never failed to raise a laugh in the auditorium. Some of the panto’s stand-out moments, however, were in the use of 3D special effects. The whole audience were given a pair of 3D glasses as they entered the theatre, and whilst the 3D aspects didn’t occur until during the second half, it was well worth the wait! Full credit must go to Whizzbang 3D Productions, who created a highly-effective and downright scary venture into the giant’s castle, as the audience were covered in giant snot, grabbed by his hand and shocked by a spider.

The whole audience were given a pair of 3D glasses as they entered the theatre, and whilst the 3D aspects didn’t occur until during the second half, it was well worth the wait! Full credit must go to Whizzbang 3D Productions, who created a highly-effective and downright scary venture into the giant’s castle, as the audience were covered in giant snot, grabbed by his hand and shocked by a spider.

”However, the pair who made the night, and got the biggest cheer were the Chuckle Brothers’’

Picture by: Shawn Ryan

All the performers were exceptionally good, with particular standouts being Daniel Boys as Fleshcreep and Sarah Earnshaw as Spirit of the Beans, whose solo performances put the lead actors to shame. However, the pair who made the night, and got the biggest cheer were the Chuckle Brothers.

I’m sure many of the audience members, myself included, were expecting a cringy brand of humour that would leave us shrinking in our seats. Instead every member of the audience were rolling in the aisles at their antics, which catered rather more towards the mums and dads than was expected.

”What made them even funnier was the fact that both brothers were adlibbing at times, which often left the other in fits of laughter and unable to continue, which provided the audience with further humour’’

From capers with a cucumber to misunderstandings whilst practising singing, the Chuckle Brothers were simply hilarious, and it is well worth paying for a ticket just to watch the stuff they get up to. What made them even funnier was the fact that both brothers were adlibbing at times, which often left the other in fits of laughter and unable to continue, which provided the audience with further humour.

Picture by: Shawn Ryan

As is traditional in panto, audience interaction is a must, and it is left to the Chuckle Brothers to take charge of this, which they did on press night with relish. They were not content with simply throwing various food items into the audience or spraying the audience at the front with a water pistol (cheers for that, I got soaked and a chocolate button melted on me).

It was left to some brave audience members to get up on stage and get involved; if you’re reading this and you want it to be you, don’t wear your best Christmas jumper, it might get a bit messy!

Even if you’re a Grinch who doesn’t like Christmas, this panto will simply blow you away. The Chuckle Brothers, with help from a sparkling and innuendo-laden Tony Maudsley make this show, and it is well worth a watch. Spice up our last week in uni, and head over to the Theatre Royal. You won’t regret it!

9/10 – Unmissable, almost perfect

Amy Wilcockson

Image credit: Shawn Ryan

‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ is running at the Theatre Royal until Sunday 15th January. For more information and to book tickets, see here 

For more reviews, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

Arts ReviewsReviews