Easier foreign visa rules for students at the University of Nottingham

University of Nottingham (UoN) joins pilot scheme to make it easier for some international students to get a visa or find work in the UK.

The tier 4 visa project will be extended for the 2018-19 postgraduate international cohort, streamlining the application process and allowing students to stay for longer after graduation.

The UoN along with 23 other UK universities will trial the scheme that seeks to benefit foreign students.

“students […] would now submit fewer documents to their respective universities that have streamlined the process”

Under the pilot scheme, students from outside the UK, EU and European Economic Area (EEA) would now submit fewer documents to their respective universities that have streamlined the process.

Furthermore, eligible students will be awarded the opportunity to stay for six months after they graduate to find a job in the UK, as opposed to only four months.

To apply, students must be an international student looking to study a masters’ in 2018 at one of the 23 universities piloting the scheme. In addition, they must want to study for 13 months or less and meet all the immigration rules set by the Home Office for foreign students.

“For every seven international undergraduate students at a Russell Group university, £1m is added to the economy”

The UK is the second most popular destination for international students and many have welcomed the announcement.

Chief executive of the Russell Group, Dr Tim Bradshaw, said: “International students enrich the learning environment on our campuses […] and bring huge economic benefit to the UK.

“For every seven international undergraduate students at a Russell Group university, £1m is added to the economy.”

Pamela Tickell

Featured image courtesy of ‘Richard Riley’ via Flickr. License here.

Follow Impact News on Facebook for more updates and information on how to get involved.