Rise in university admissions for all ethnic groups except white people

New figures published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) shows a two percent decrease in the number of white students applying to university.

According to the HESA report, the number has fallen by more than 34,000 since 2013/14 despite a one percent overall increase in university admissions in the same period.

Despite the number of white people going to university declining over the past three years, other ethnic groups saw significant increases. The number of black students went up by eleven percent, Asian students by twelve percent and other or mixed ethnic backgrounds by eighteen percent.

“More people are choosing to go to university, including those from disadvantaged areas and those whose parents did not go to university”

This has raised national debate amongst experts about “culture and ambition in white working-class families”. A Department for Education spokesperson said:

“Today’s figures show that more people are choosing to go to university, including those from disadvantaged areas and those whose parents did not go to university.”

This highlights potential flaws within the university teaching system because not only is there a growing issue with the decline of white entrants, but also with dropout rates of BAME students.

“[it] has sparked fresh debate about grade inflation and the degree classification system”

James Kirkup, of the Social Market Foundation, states that these specific changes could be made to enhance the educational aspect of the university experience. He says that “getting more experienced teachers and leaders into schools with large white working-class intakes” is an important factor.

This matter has sparked fresh debate about grade inflation and the degree classification system.

The Department of Education has put forward ‘The Transparency Duty’, which the spokesperson states “will also shine a light on institutions that need to do more to widen access from under-represented groups.”

Marvel Kalu

Featured image courtesy of ‘University of the Fraser Valley’ via Flickr.

Follow Impact News on Facebook.