Breaking News

Ex-University of Nottingham student convicted of Broadgate Park halls stabbing

In February last year George Boakye, a 20 year old UoN first year studying Business, pleaded guilty to wounding with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

At the hearing, the judge expressed the concern that The University of Nottingham has never been informed of the concerns about Boakye’s mental health.

The Broadgate Park welfare team has not responded to requests for their plan of action to prevent such incident from happening again.

“The pastoral care teams at the University have been ensuring and will continue to ensure that those affected are being supported and cared for.”

A spokesperson said: “The pastoral care teams at the University have been ensuring and will continue to ensure that those affected are being supported and cared for.”

It is reported that Boakye had also been creating a disturbance to one of the female residents of his halls, knocking at her door until she let him in, only to walk out seconds later to start knocking again.

It is clear that his behaviour in weeks prior to the stabbing shows a sign of deteriorating mental health. During the trial, the forensic psychiatrist Dr Gareth Garrett stated that two professionals have diagnosed Boakye as having a psychotic mental disorder, with a predisposition to use knives to cause grievous harm to people around him.
The judge has ordered Boakye to remain kept in hospital for an indefinite amount of time to protect the public interest. This raises a question of just how well the various teams taking care of the students in the university communicate, to ensure the best care possible.

Zofia Moritz 

If you need to talk to someone at Broadgate Park, the Warden and Tutor are always on hand to help. They can be contacted from 9:30pm-5am on the details below.

Mobile: 07880 092 658
Email: broadgatepark@nottingham.ac.uk

Featured image courtesy of Matt Buck via Flickr. Image license here.

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter.

Breaking NewsNews