Rugby Union

Varsity Rugby Union Preview

The men’s and women's Rugby Union Varsity Match kicks off at 5:45 GMT on Sunday 31st of March at Lady Bay Stadium.

It’s the one you’ve all been waiting for…The University of Nottingham men’s and women’s 1st XV meet bitter rivals Nottingham Trent on Sunday March 31st at Lady Bay Stadium, West Bridgford. Make sure to be there!

After a stellar season, UoN finished third in the BUCS Rugby Union North A division, winning 7 of their 14 games. Although the team missed out on a promotion to the Super Rugby league, the green and gold will look to rebound against a Nottingham Trent side that has struggled this season.

UoN’s season came to an abrupt end on March 6th, when they lost to Swansea by a score of 49-33 in the BUCS Rugby Union Vase.

‘Their defence has been an area of weakness throughout the season, on average conceding 35 points per game.’

Opponents Nottingham Trent’s 1st team finished bottom of the Super Rugby division, winning just 4 of their 18 games, and subsequently will face relegation to the North A league. Next year they will face UoN twice during the regular season.

Trent are coming off two heavy defeats – both to Hartpury University – in which they lost by a combined score of 99-37. Their defence has been an area of weakness throughout the season, on average conceding 35 points per game. Nottingham should look to exploit this, if they are to become Varsity Champions this year.

‘This should be a closely fought contest, as both sides will compete for the pride of Nottingham’

For the women’s match, the University of Nottingham 1st team have endured a steady season finishing 4th in the Midlands 1A division. Their Trent rivals also finished 4th in the division below, the Midlands 2A division. However, the Midlands 2A division table finished with only 2 points separating 2nd and 4th place, so despite being in the league below, this will not be an easy encounter for the green and gold’s women’s team.

This should be a closely fought contest, as both sides will compete for the pride of Nottingham, in what will be the swansong for several of our senior players.

Online tickets for the event have already sold out, however there will be another 600 tickets available to buy on the door. See you there!

Rory Jones

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates and information on how to get involved.

Featured image courtesy of University of Nottingham Rugby Union Club

Rugby UnionVarsity