Kinky Boots @ Theatre Royal

Greeted by a pair of giant red sparkly boots squeezed between the theatre’s columns, it was clear that Kinky Boots would be filled with glitz and glamour, yet what initially appears to be a drag show in its full glory, becomes a touching and rousing story of self-awareness and acceptance. 

When Mr Price (Andy Watkins) dies and his shoe factory is left in the hands of his son, Charlie Price (Joel Harper-Jackson) must find a way to prevent the factory being shut down and save the jobs of the factory-workers. Whilst struggling with his own sense of purpose and personal relationships, his run-in with drag queen Lola (Kayi Ushe) sparks a revolutionary change for the factory – the design and production of sexy, high-heeled boots strong enough for a man.  

“The first aspect of the show that struck me was the inventive set”

The first aspect of the show that struck me was the inventive set, with scenic designer David Rockwell creating a realistic and extremely detailed factory space where most of the action takes place. The central scaffolding and moveable props complimented the ongoing dynamism of the actors and their dancing, meaning the show never became static. The boxing ring and Milan fashion show sets were equally impressive. The lighting design by Kenneth Posner with strobe lights, red lighting and spotlights successfully supporting the mood changes and adding a sense of excitement to the scenes.

The costumes themselves were incredible, designer Gregg Barnes creating Lola and the Angels’ many flamboyant and daring outfits, the mix of colours, materials and styles drawing attention to every individual on stage. To my delight, there was a real abundance of glitter and sequins and the contrast with the ‘ordinary’ outfits of the factory workers showed the initial separation between the groups, the costumes carrying a lot of meaning in the journey of self-expression and acceptance.   

“An undeniably positive, inspirational atmosphere that continues throughout the show”

Director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell, who received the Tony award for his choreography for Kinky Boots, has created an overwhelming performance of dance and acrobatics, the Angels showcasing their talent and creating an undeniably positive, inspirational atmosphere that continues throughout the show. Their energy and athleticism is astounding and taken to a whole new level when you consider that they do it all in heels.

One of my favourite scenes has to be the last of the first act: an absolute whirlwind that you have to just experience for yourself. It’s like your regular gym workout but with a mighty twist – think treadmills, high-heels, backflips and singing!

“From the start, the ensemble numbers were impressive with the tonal quality and unity of their voices creating a lasting buzz”

Cyndi Lauper’s music and lyrics were done justice, the orchestra, directed by Patrick Hurley, being incredible in both exemplifying the singing and taking centre stage. From the start, the ensemble numbers were impressive with the tonal quality and unity of their voices creating a lasting buzz.

Ushe’s smooth, soft and extremely powerful voice was particularly notable. Harper-Jackson, although with a very different, rock-esque voice, also left an impression so that when he joined with Ushe for their duet ‘Not My Father’s Son’, the combined softness of their voices, the sublime harmonies and Mitchell’s direction created an emotional performance that added a new dimension to the show. 

“Whilst injecting the performance with raw emotion through their singing, the two protagonists confidently ran the show”

Whilst injecting the performance with raw emotion through their singing, the two protagonists confidently ran the show. Ushe embodied the character of Lola, conveying so much sass and sex appeal. Him and the Angels engaged with the audience so well that it made you feel as if you were in a club with the drag queens.

Ushe also carried off the show’s comedy flawlessly. His movements, gestures, timing and use of voice were perfected, sending the audience into fits of laughter. Paula Lane’s (who played Lauren) successful relatable ‘crush drama’ added to the humour, the overall combination of emotion and comedy helping to accessibly portray the reality of the issues addressed by the musical.  

“It is not just a happy-clappy musical, but a feel-good, feel-inspired production that highlights prevalent social issues”

Kinky Boots ended on a high with a standing ovation to show for it. It is not just a happy-clappy musical, but a feel-good, feel-inspired production that highlights prevalent social issues. It looks at what it means to be a man and the importance of accepting people as they are, providing an insight into the lives of those who don’t fit in but are happiest when they stand out. Kayi Ushe and the cast are wonderfully talented and I feel very lucky to have seen this show.

9/10

Katie Moncur  

Featured Image courtesy of Theatre Royal & Royal Concert Hall Official Facebook Page.