What to Eat to Beat Freshers Flu

Do you have a bit of a sniffle? Maybe a croaky throat? Can you feel yourself falling asleep in lectures? If yes, you might be coming down with the dreaded freshers flu!

But don’t you worry, we’ve got you covered! I’ll list six surefire foods to help you squash it in no time – your immune system will be eternally grateful.

Firstly, broth. Now, I’m not saying to boil down the leftover carcass of a chicken to make your own stock (although, if you have the time, or just want to procrastinate, this method could be worthwhile as they’re meant to be packed with nutrients). No, instead I’m suggesting that you grab a Cup a Soup from Spar, boil the kettle and re-hydrate.

Second up is garlic. Be careful with this one, you might find that people don’t want to get too close to you for a while, but it’ll be worth it! The website, Healthline, suggests nibbling on raw garlic as soon as you get the slightest inclination that the flu might be taking hold. Whilst you ride it out, I’d recommend having a stash of garlic in your room for quick and easy from-bed access.

Yoghurt and granola is my third tip. The goodness provided by the live cultures in the yoghurt will quietly work away rebuilding your depleted immune system, whilst the sugars in the granola will give you some much needed energy.

Fourth: Vitamin C. You can find this incredible nutrient in strawberries, tomatoes, and oranges, to name a few. I’d recommend pimping that yoghurt and granola with strawberries, having a warming tomato soup and cracking open an easy peeler. Believe me, you’ll reap the benefits.

Fifth are leafy greens. I’m talking those hefty, hunky greens like spinach or kale. These kings of the leafy empire hold one of the most important components to aid immune system recovery: Vitamin E. They will help nurse you back to health each and every step of the way.

Last, but by no means least, are spices. Not only can spices provide the gift of flavour, but they also have the potential ability to unblock the traffic jam of phlegm and mucus in your chest. What better excuse to cook a good old chicken korma or a HOT peri-peri Nando’s. However, be sure to save this option for near the end of your ordeal; you’ll want to go out with a bang.

kick the ominous illness that need not be a staple of your freshers season.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to introduce some more of these ingredients into your daily diet and, at some point, kick the ominous illness that need not be a staple of your freshers season.

P.S. If you’re coughing or sneezing your way through lectures, you have the following options: change course, ask your lecturer to speak louder, use the trusty lecture capture, or, if worst comes to worst, don’t go out the night before (but where’s the fun in that?!).

Natasha Phang-Lee

Featured image courtesy of Tina Franklin via Flickr. Image license found here

Article image 1 courtesy of Kjokkenutstyr Net via Flickr. Image license found here

Article image 2 courtesy of Jørgen Schyberg via Flickr. Image license found here

Article image 3 courtesy of Tim Sackton via Flickr. Image license found here

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved!

FoodFreshersHumans and HealthLifestyleNutrition