Food

Simple Bakes – Honey and Walnut Christmas Buns

These buns are certainly a great candidate for a pre-Christmas treat! Sweet and delicious, these won’t disappoint.

Makes approximately 15 buns

Ingredients for buns

• 100g butter, softened
  • 100g brown sugar
  • One egg, separated
  • 100g runny honey
  • 200g plain flour
  • Half a tsp of bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsps ground cinnamon
  • 75g walnuts, broken into small pieces
  • 1-2 tbsp milk

Ingredients for cream cheese icing

• 75g cream cheese
  • 100g icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp of runny honey
  • Some Christmas-themed edible decorations

Tip! To separate the egg, crack it into a glass and then pour it onto your hand over a bowl, keeping your fingers only just slightly open so that the yolk remains in your palm but the egg white flows through.

Tip! To check if the buns are cooked, insert a metal skewer or a sharp knife and if it comes out clean they are ready.

Tip! If the cream cheese icing seems too runny, beat in more icing sugar until it is the desired thickness.

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a muffin tray with bun cases.
  2. Beat the butter and brown sugar together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Then add the egg yolk and honey and whisk until well incorporated.
  3. Sift in the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and mix until fully combined. Add the walnuts and the milk and stir thoroughly.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg white with an electric whisk until it forms stiff peaks. Add this to the cake mixture and fold in gently.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the bun cases and cook in the oven for around 15 minutes.
  6. To make the cream cheese icing, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and honey until smooth and slightly stiff.
  7. Once the buns are cool, spoon the cream cheese icing over the tops and decorate haphazardly with Christmas-themed edible decorations (as shown in the photograph!) and enjoy!

Ruth Pengelly 

Come follow us! Instagram: @impactmagfood, Twitter: @impactfood

FoodRecipes