IMPACT Gig Guide – February 2016

IMPACT brings you the unmissable live performances this month, highlighting the best talent stopping off at Nottingham throughout February.

Tuesday 2nd – NME Awards Tour // Rock City

The NME Awards Tour returns to Nottingham’s Rock City with a variety of established acts and new names to discover. This year’s tour features the return of Bloc Party, who hope to revitalise their fanbase with the release of a fifth record – Hymns – at the end of January. On the back of widespread acclaim for the grungy two-piece’s second LP Undertow, Drenge are a valuable addition to the bill, and are sure to deliver some favourites from their debut as well. The tour will also highlight newcomers Rat Boy and Bugzy Malone. Rat Boy inherits the youthful indie-guitar optimism of the noughties, and fans of Jamie T should particularly pay attention, whilst followers of the British grime revival will be set to enjoy an appearance from Manchester’s Bugzy Malone.

Friday 5th – Gabrielle Aplin // Rock City

GIBRALTAR_MUSIC_FESTIVAL_2013_-_GABRIELLE_APLIN

Remember that time the John Lewis advert had ‘The Power of Love’ in it? Gabrielle Aplin is so much more than the woman that sang that. Though she is also the woman that sang that particular cover. Having since released two stunning albums that spawned hit after hit, Aplin has an impressive back catalogue of gentle pop songs encased in meaning. Rock City is going to be treated to some truly mesmerising moments as two and a half thousand people stand in awe of Gabrielle Aplins soul-bearing live performance.

Thursday 11th – Public Service Broadcasting // Rock City

By all accounts, the live shows put on by the alternative outfit Public Service Broadcasting add another dimension completely to the enjoyment of their music. Accompanied by stunning visuals, and expertly performing tracks that blend live instrumentals, electronic overlays and samples from public service information films and propaganda material, the two-piece from London continue to tour their acclaimed 2015 release The Race For Space at Nottingham’s Rock City on the 11th.

Saturday 13th – !!! // Rescue Rooms

!!!_(Punk_band)_in_Montreal_November_06,_2013

You might not know how to pronounce this one, and their name may be Google-proof: but getting it printed on a ticket stub is a must this month. Formed in 2001, these now-veterans of the dance-punk scene can be expected to bring hectic guitar playing and undeniable synth grooves in the LCD Soundsystem ouvre when they arrive in Nottingham on the second Saturday of the month. The album art for this latest LP, As If, is also well worth looking into…

Sunday 14th – Cage The Elephant // Rescue Rooms

4616563849_a0943e37ee_b

Another band from across the Atlantic: Cage The Elephant arrive in Nottingham from Kentucky off the back of their acclaimed fourth LP Tell Me I’m Pretty, produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. These are well worth checking out: their penchant for energetic live shows is infamous, and with their first record being influenced by the blues and their second by punk: you can expect an aspect of eclecticism to arrive at Rescue Rooms on Valentines too.

Tuesday 16th – King Lizard and the Gizzard Wizzard // Rescue Rooms

Australian psychedelic rock troupe King Lizard and the Gizzard Wizzard bring their huge live set to Rescue Rooms on the 16th. The eight-piece from Melbourne are a welcome return to Nottingham, as they’re renowned not only for pumping out unaffectedly imposing new releases on a regular basis, but for the particular energy and wonder of their live appearances. The dynamism of their performance combined with an ever-growing repertoire of impressive material makes this a crucial addition to your gig calendar for February.

Wednesday 17th – Hinds // Rescue Rooms

Hinds_live_at_Boston_Music_Room

It’s always exciting to have a hot new band visit your town, and in Nottingham we have that this February with the arrival of Hinds, a four-piece all-girl outfit fresh from Madrid. They started putting out singles in 2014 but released their much anticipated debut LP Leave Me Alone last month to much acclaim. Fitting themselves into the lo-fi garage slot scene alongside the likes of Ty Segall and Mac Demarco: Hinds’ music is as sunkissed as their home-country would suggest, bringing some brightness to Notts this gloomy winter. Read our review of Leave Me Alone here.

Saturday 20th – Will Varley // The Bodega

The Folk troubadour returns to Nottingham’s Bodega on 20th February in support of his recent release Postcards from Ursa Minor. Having recently touched base here in November to triumphantly support Frank Turner at his Rock City Double Header, Varley has a reputation for the wit woven throughout his light hearted folk songs and for his endless charm. That isn’t to suggest that his music is simply throwaway comedy though, songs like ‘We Don’t Believe You’ make great use of biting social commentary. This show looks set to be one of the more entertaining and intriguing that Nottingham has to offer.

Saturday 20th – Enter Shikari // Motorpoint Arena

Enter_Shikari_-_Rock_am_Ring_2015-9657

In case witty Folk isn’t your thing, Nottingham still has plenty to offer on 20th February. The Motorpoint Arena is playing host to electronic rockers Enter Shikari. Sure to be full of their usual rabid energy, this could be an explosive night to remember. Standing among 10,000 other fans screaming the words to ‘Ghandi mate, Ghandi’ will be more than just a little bit cathartic. The band are still touring their incredible new album Mindsweep which is full of massive hits that will sound mind-blowing in this arena setting. In case you needed any more idea about what this show will entail, frontman Rou Reynolds often starts the show by saying “This isn’t music to distract, its music to attack. Let’s destabilise this place”.

Sunday 21st – Fat White Family // Rescue Rooms

Promoting the release of their second album Songs For Our Mothers, the Fat Whites are set to treat Nottingham to another evening of irreverent revelry at Rescue Rooms on the 21st. Indeed, their sophomore LP looks to feature more continuity than change, as Songs For Our Mothers reels in as much bawdy and provocative vitriol as its predecessor Champagne Holocaust. Followers of this now infamous group will hope that their live shows haven’t changed either – a riotous evening awaits those who’ll brave it.

Sunday 21st – Nai Harvest // Rough Trade

Headlining the Faction evening on the 21st, Nai Harvest will bring their genre-hopping sounds to the bar at Rough Trade as a teaser for their anticipated tour with Abattoir Blues in March. Having attracted greater international attention with the release of their LP Hairball last year, the Sheffield two-piece have toured relentlessly and so are sure to bring a polished set to Nottingham. If they feature tracks from all their releases, the evening will bring forth emo math rock, driving post-punk power chords and the ‘90s pop rock of Hairball all at once – a spectacle not to be missed.

James Noble, Liam Inscoe-Jones & Liam Fleming

Feature Image via Sonic PR

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter

EntertainmentMusic