Considering A Career In Social Work? Top 5 Reasons To Go For It

Emma Wilkinson delves into some reasons why you could pursue a career in social work

Frontline is a children social work charity that recruits and develops outstanding individuals to become the next generation of social workers. Frontline has just been voted number 26 on the Times top 100 graduate employers.

Social work can often be overlooked as a career option for graduates but here’s 5 reasons why you should investigate the possibilities a career in this field could offer you after university:

1. Satisfaction
The main benefit of being a social worker is that you will be changing the lives of vulnerable children across the UK and helping shape a better future for them. With approximately half a million children across the UK without a safe and stable home, the difference that can be made is truly life-changing.

2. Career progression
A job as a social worker does not stop there. In fact, there are a lot of opportunities to progress to management or director roles, or even to take your skills to another country and work on international issues. Frontline fellows, who completed the two-year Leadership Development Programme, have gone on to work in international settings helping displaced populations. This is one example in a sea of many impressive and exciting prospects that can come with a career in social work.

3. Job security
Social work is a growing field and the need for a diverse cohort of social workers in the UK is key. In fact, as recently as October 25 2018 the BBC published an article stating that on average 188 children per day are placed on protection plans because they are at risk of abuse or neglect. This reflects the ever increasing need within the profession for talented and driven people to join this line of work

4. Earn while you learn
In the first year of the Frontline programme you will receive a bursary and in the second year a full salary, which will enable you to get your feet on the job ladder and also receive your qualifications. Whilst training to become a qualified social worker on the Frontline programme, you will gain a Post-graduate diploma at the end of the first year and a Master’s degree at the end of the second year, both of which are also fully funded.

5. There is no typical social worker
The profession opens its arms to a wide breadth of people and degree types; meaning that social workers today are diverse and come from a wide range of backgrounds. Any individuals passionate about starting a career in social work should consider it! It is also a benefit after entering the job as it means you will be surrounded and challenged by diverse and open minded colleagues.

If you’re looking for a way to enter a career in social work or would like to hear more about Frontline’s Leadership Development Programme click here to register your interest. To see what Frontline’s up to at Nottingham, follow Frontline at Nottingham on Facebook at and/or contact Emma Wilkinson at lgyew6@nottingham.ac.uk.

Emma Wilkinson

Featured image courtesy of Jocelyn Kinghorn via Flickr.  No changes were made to this image. Image license found here.