Mother’s Day Breakfast Recipes

Kayleigh talks us through her best Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes.

Mother’s Day falls this Sunday and while it can be difficult to get your Mum the present she really deserves on the uni student budget, making her a lovely breakfast can really show you care and not break the bank either. So here are a few recipe ideas that will satisfy all of your Mother’s Day morning needs.

Breakfast Parfait

Now don’t be put off by the slightly fancy name, as despite this these breakfast parfaits are probably one of the easiest breakfasts you can make and also look amazing. And not only that but they are also highly versatile so can be altered to suit your Mum’s own personal taste.

Ingredients:

250ml of Greek yoghurt

150g of granola

Fruit of your choice diced, I find that blueberries and bananas go really well with this or a selection of mixed berries.

Honey

Method:

1. Select a lovely glass so that your Mum can be wowed by the lovely layers you are about to create.
  2. Start by putting around 4 tablespoons of the yoghurt into the glass to create the first layer.
  3. Then add your first layer of diced fruit, use your own judgement as to how much you put in but the aim is to have even layer of both yoghurt and fruit.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you are around an inch form the top of the glass.
  5. Now add the crunchy granola to the top of your creation. However, if you didn’t want to use granola many cereals such as Crunchy Nut or Cheerios provide just as delicious a topping.
  6. Finally add a drizzle of honey to your breakfast parfait that is ready to be served to your Mum.

French Toast

For a slightly sweeter breakfast option that is still super easy to make, give this French toast recipe a go this Mothers Day.

Ingredients:

1 egg

40ml milk

½ tsp Cinnamon

½ tsp nutmeg

1tsp vanilla extract

2 slices of bread

Method:

1. To start, with place all ingredients aside from the bread into a bowl and mix them together until well combined.
  2. Place the bread into the mixture until the bread has properly soaked up the mixture.
  3. Next, heat up a frying pan or skillet with a little butter on a high heat.
  4. Place the bread into the pan and fry until both sides are a lovely golden brown.
  5. Enjoy alone, with fruit or perhaps some golden syrup for those that have an extra sweet tooth.

Eggs Benedict

Eggs Benedict is one of my all time favourite breakfasts, and it would be fair to say that the delicate hollandaise sauce does make it a bit more challenging to make. Never the less if you fancy a bit of a challenge this Mothers Day I am sure that the effort would not go unnoticed.

Ingredients:

English breakfast muffins

3 eggs

100g butter

1tsp mustard

White wine vinegar

Smoked ham/ smoked salmon/ fried mushrooms

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Method:

1. To start with you need to make the hollandaise sauce, separate the yolks from 2 eggs, discarding the whites.
  2. Next, you need to melt the butter in a pan.
  3. Place the yolks into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring constantly to avoid the mixture splitting, and gradually add the mustard and lemon juice.
  4. Next slowly add the butter to the mixture, still stirring constantly, before adding around a tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
  5. The sauce is now done so turn off the heat and keep the sauce warm over the pan, stirring occasionally.
  6. You now need to lightly toast your English breakfast muffins.
  7. While doing this, it is also time to make your poached eggs. In a large pan bring water to a simmer over a medium heat, with a pinch of salt in the pan.
  8. To help the egg stay together, crack the egg into a cup and then in one smooth motion tip into the pan of simmering water.
  9. The egg should take 2-4 minutes to poach depending on how you like your eggs, use your own judgement here.
  10. Once both your muffins are toasted and eggs poached, it is time to assemble your Mum’s Eggs Benedict.
  11. Start by placing the muffin on a plate, and then add your choice of ham, salmon or mushroom to the top of the muffin. Next balance the perfectly poached egg on top of this, being careful not to break the egg.
  12. Finally it is time to pour on a generous amount of the hollandaise sauce, and season as you like with salt and pepper, before presenting this wonderful breakfast to your Mum this Mothers day.

Kayleigh Moore

Featured image courtesy of Shari’s Berries via Flickr, no changes made to image. Image license can be found here

For more Food Articles follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter. 

FoodLifestyleNutritionRecipes