UoN Snatch Another Varsity Point at Basford United FC

The Green and Gold clinch the victory in the football Varsity after an extremely tight match.

This match was always set to be one of the tightest Varsity fixtures in this year’s series and it could have gone either way. The Green and Gold managed to add another Varsity point to the board after a defensive performance.

Before the match, George Southgate, men’s Football President, told us “we’ve got a good chance in Varsity” but “Trent have finished 2nd in the Norther Premier League, so they’re clearly a decent side”. It was evident this was going to be a close one, and all the more important as it was absent from last year’s series and the point was forfeited.

In the first half, NTU had some soft shots and pushed UoN. Although we had managed to get more corners than them, we couldn’t capitalise on the set pieces and Trent built up the pressure, eliciting fouls and having several shots at goal. However, the Green and Gold managed to defend well and went into half-time 0-0.

“This game looked like it had 0-0 written all over it”

There were some good early chances for UoN, but as the minutes ticked by in the second half this game looked like it had 0-0 written all over it. That was until Nat Hubert put a glorious free kick into the back of the net to break the deadlock. The lads kept their cool, kept possession and saw the game out for the last 20 minutes.

The one goal was all it took, and this was the first time in Varsity history that Trent have not scored in men’s football. It was also the first time the Green and Gold had taken the Varsity point in this fixture since 2011. It was made all the more special with the absence of this fixture last year, a much missed and massive part of the series.

At the end of play on 3rd April the series was in our favour 8-3. The narrow win for the lads secured that all important Varsity point and put another series victory in touching distance for the Green and Gold.

Zoe Burgess

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates and information on how to get involved.

Featured image courtesy of @UoNSport via Twitter. 

SportVarsityVarsity Football