Food Reviews

Food Review: Lan Zhou Beef Noodles

Lan Zhou Beef Noodles’ (Market Street, Nottingham) small shop space and mundane interior belies the nature of its food. You will find none of the extravagance and lush colours that have stereotypically defined one’s idea of a chinese restaurant. But don’t let the drab interior fool you. Once you have tasted their noodles, the food quite literally speaks for itself.

“Tucking away at a bowl of quality beef noodles on a cold gloomy night is pretty hard to beat”

As an international student from Asia, I am well exposed to the culinary world of asian cuisine. It is what I grew up with, what I enjoy and a source of comfort food for all kinds of moods. From big celebratory occasions to quality time with a loved one, from the lively cacophony of street food stalls to the late-night take-aways, Chinese food has the variety and verve to match any occasion. Tucking away at a bowl of quality beef noodles on a cold gloomy night is pretty hard to beat. It is immediately clear that Lan Zhou Beef Noodles’ hand-made noodles isn’t just a throwback to the romanticism of Asian gastronomy.

“the difference between processed noodles and hand-made ones borne out of labour and love is obvious”

Even for people who have not yet tasted hand-made noodles, the difference between processed noodles and hand-made ones borne out of labour and love is obvious The beef broth is tasty but not overpowering. The beef itself is pretty good but the noodles have to be the standout. My friend and I shared a plate of fried dumplings stuffed with pork which was bursting with flavour.

“Scaling down their menu to just a few items to choose from, it is clear that they have decided to focus on making the best with the resources they can manage”

While I have tasted better beef noodles in my life, I am still impressed by the quality and flavour of Lan Zhou Beef Noodles. Scaling down their menu to just a few items to choose from, it is clear that they have decided to focus on making the best with the resources they can manage. Quantity is traded for ingredients that are fresh and processes that are hand-made. The prices are rather reasonable as well for the amount they serve. If you’re looking to take late-night comfort food to the next level, it would be remiss of you not to give this a try.

Jia Wei Lum

Rating: 8/10

Featured Image courtesy of Jia Wei Lum.

Food ReviewsReviews