After a long and busy week, the weekend is the time for a lie in and waking up later calls for brunch. Although this recipe does not contain any meat, you should not be put off making this delicious meal. Cutting down on your meat intake is better for both the environment and your health. Unlike meat, all of these ingredients last for at least two weeks, which means that there is less chance of food waste. Shopping in Aldi makes student life more affordable; all of the ingredients are cheaper there than in any of the other leading supermarkets. This recipe provides the perfect balance of flavours, with the saltiness of the halloumi being balanced by the creaminess of the avocado and the acidity of the tomato.
In short, this brunch is the perfect start to any weekend. Forget Breakfast at Tiffany’s, it is all about Breakfast at Rosa’s!
2 slices of wholemeal bread
1 avocado (smashed)
A handful of spinach
A sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
Small frying pan
Microwavable egg poacher
- Cut the avocado in half around the seed. Then, open the avocado to expose the pit. Scoop the pit out using a spoon. Peel back the skin of each half and then cut in a cross-hatch pattern. Use a fork to mash the avocado until a creamy and smooth consistency is reached. Repeat these steps for the other half of the avocado. Leave the smashed avocado at the side until serving.
- Cut the halloumi into about 6 equally sized soldier-shaped pieces.
- Cut the tomato into 4 even slices.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. Add a handful of spinach and allow it to cook until it is wilted. Then, season it with salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle pan. Add the halloumi soldiers and grill on each side for 1 minute until sear marks appear. At the same time, grill the slices of tomato on each side for about 90 seconds until sear marks appear.
- In the meantime, put two slices of wholemeal bread in the toaster.
- Crack two eggs into the egg poacher and put in the microwave on a maximum heat. Cook until you begin to hear the eggs popping. This usually takes between 40 to 55 seconds.
- Spread the smashed avocado on the slices of toast.
- Use a spoon to remove the poached eggs from the egg poacher and place on the slices of avocado toast. Arrange the halloumi soldiers, tomato and spinach on the plate.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle the plate with pumpkin seeds. Voilà!
Featured image courtesy of Rosa Morgan.
If you want to get involved with Impact, from writing about food to science (why not), send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or join our contributor’s group here.
Alternatively, keep up with all the latest via our Facebook and Instagram.