Cooking for Dummies Series: Chicken Satay

James' crunchy satay chicken recipe

Every student loves a cheeky Chinese takeaway once in a while, but it can really start to rack up your overdraft, so why not make it yourself. Anyone can knock up a stir fry, yet add this to the meal and you might just never need a takeaway again.

Ingredients:

This recipe makes one serving.

1 chicken breast

½ tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon soy sauce

½ lime

1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter

1 clove garlic

½ teaspoon chilli flakes

All of the ingredients.

Method:

• Pre-heat the oven to 180°C on grill setting.
  • Place your chicken breast on a chopping board and score it diagonally both ways about an inch apart so that it makes criss-crosses (this not only ensures that the chicken cooks all the way through, but more importantly will lock in more flavour).
  • Place the chicken in a dish or bowl which you can marinate it in. Add half a tablespoon of olive oil and one teaspoon of soy sauce. Salt and pepper generously and zest half a lime in. Give this all a mix and don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty.

Scoring the chicken ensures that it locks in the delicious flavours from the marinade.

• Fry the chicken on medium heat score side down for 5 minutes.
  • Meanwhile it’s time to make the sauce. Scoop 1 tablespoon of peanut butter into a bowl. Then squeeze the juice of half a lime, add 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 1 clove of chopped garlic (2 if you like your food garlicy) and half a teaspoon of chilli flakes (or a whole teaspoon if you’re feeling moi picante). Mix and add water until the sauce becomes thick but pourable.
  • After 5 minutes, take the frying pan off the heat and turn the chicken and pour all of your sauce onto it. Then place the chicken under the grill for 5-6 minutes.

Yummy!

• Serve over noodles and stir fried veg. (Additional soy sauce optional but advised) et voilà!

James Hurman 

Images courtesy of James Hurman. 

For more Food Recipes follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter. 

FoodLifestyleNutritionRecipes