0 October 13, 2018 21:56
Has October kicked in for you? Are you spending evenings watching Bake Off, drooling over whatever they’re making? Want a sweet treat to enjoy with a cup of tea after a long day at uni? Well I present to you my autumnal carrot cake! This can be made quickly and doesn’t take very long in the oven. Pair a slice with a cup of tea and it’s a delight!
1 cup plain flour
1 ½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
3 or 4 carrots thickly grated
½ cup oil
1 tablespoon milk
Optional 100g chopped walnuts
One mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line a round cake tin with baking parchment.
- In the mixing bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the eggs, milk and oil and mix using the hand mixer.
- Add the carrots (and walnuts if you’re using them). Mix using the hand blender
- Using the spatula (or a spoon), scrape the mixture into the previously prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in the pre-heated oven. To determine the length of time, after 30 minutes insert a knife into the centre of the cake. If the knife is not clean upon removal, leave the cake in for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- If the knife comes out clean the cake, remove the cake and allow it to cool for 30 minutes and then remove the baking parchment.
- Make a cup of tea, invite your pals round, slice up your carrot cake, put on Bake Off and enjoy!
Inga Becker Hansen
Images courtesy of Inga Becker Hansen.
For more Food Recipes follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter.