Has October kicked in for you? Are you spending evenings watching Bake Off, drooling over whatever they’re making? Want a sweet treat to enjoy with a cup of tea after a long day at uni? Well I present to you my autumnal carrot cake! This can be made quickly and doesn’t take very long in the oven. Pair a slice with a cup of tea and it’s a delight!
1 cup plain flour
1 ½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
3 or 4 carrots thickly grated
½ cup oil
1 tablespoon milk
Optional 100g chopped walnuts
One mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line a round cake tin with baking parchment.
- In the mixing bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the eggs, milk and oil and mix using the hand mixer.
- Add the carrots (and walnuts if you’re using them). Mix using the hand blender
- Using the spatula (or a spoon), scrape the mixture into the previously prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in the pre-heated oven. To determine the length of time, after 30 minutes insert a knife into the centre of the cake. If the knife is not clean upon removal, leave the cake in for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- If the knife comes out clean the cake, remove the cake and allow it to cool for 30 minutes and then remove the baking parchment.
- Make a cup of tea, invite your pals round, slice up your carrot cake, put on Bake Off and enjoy!
Inga Becker Hansen
Images courtesy of Inga Becker Hansen.