The ultimate comfort food – whether you don’t want to add cheese, you just want a little, or you want all the cheese (like me), lasagne is always a treat. This recipe can be made vegan with vegan white sauce, vegan mince and vegan cheese, or meaty with beef, lamb or turkey mince.
The recipe makes four servings.
Lidl lasagne tomato sauce jar, you can also use a different supermarket’s alternative or tinned chopped tomatoes
Lidl lasagne white sauce jar, you can get this from another shop or alternatively make it yourself from scratch
450 bag of Quorn soya mince (or another brand)
Large handful of mushrooms
1 large onion
Cheddar cheese (quantity optional)
2 tbsp oil
Chilli flakes (optional for added spice)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat.
- Whilst the oil heats up, grate the cheese.
- Finely chop the mushrooms, carrot and onion and add to the frying pan, stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the mince, stirring occasionally until browned and then add the tomato sauce/ tinned tomatoes.
- Line the lasagne dish with lasagne sheets (you don’t have to add a layer to the bottom, but I find it holds the structure better.
- Spread a third of the mince mixture evenly on top of the lasagne sheets in the dish.
- Add another layer of lasagne sheets, and spread a third of the white sauce on top, adding an optional sprinkling of cheese.
- Repeat this process.
- Top with a final layer of lasagne sheets, adding any leftover white sauce and a generous helping of cheese for a crisp cheesy top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
All images courtesy of Alana McKenna.