Food

Protein Powders: Good, Bad or Ugly?

The importance placed on having a healthy and balanced lifestyle has substantially increased within the last few decades. There are now more gym goers than ever before engaging in the discussion about dietary supplements, however there are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding protein powders.

If you’re curious about health and fitness but are baffled by the idea of protein as a part of your fitness journey, hopefully after reading this article the only reason stopping you from achieving your goals will be your unwillingness to get out of bed.

when you are training, you are causing tiny tears in your muscle fibres, and the gradual process of rebuilding these tears is what makes your muscles stronger.

In simple terms, when you are training, you are causing tiny tears in your muscle fibres, and the gradual process of rebuilding these tears is what makes your muscles stronger. However, a necessary element of the rebuilding process is the intake of protein. It’s a fundamental part of our diet either way, but we should consume more of it while we physically exert ourselves more than usual.

Irrespective of your fitness goals, be they building muscle, toning up or even losing weight, it is recommended that adults consume a higher amount of protein when exercising in order to preserve their muscle mass and overall health.

It is important that when we consume protein, we are moderate, responsible, and most importantly knowledgeable.

With the protein industry booming, the variety of options and amount of scepticism have increased with it. For starters, are protein powders good or bad for us? The answer to that question is complicated. The benefits you could reap from protein powders are dependent on the way you consume them, the brands, the protein type and quantity, your body type and so much more.

It is important that when we consume protein, we are moderate, responsible, and most importantly knowledgeable. A good starting point is choosing which type of protein you need; there are two to choose from: Regular Animal Protein (whey), and Vegan Plant-Based Protein. Based on your preferences and personal requirements, you can pick which is best suited for you.

Protein Powder Pros:

1. IT’S CONVENIENT: you can add these protein powders to your shakes, drinks or smoothies, rather than carrying around a wholesome, protein-filled meal. Putting protein powder in your drink is not only convenient, but saves time, effort and planning.
  2. IT’S FILLING: when added to shakes, protein powders can be very filling, and can prevent overeating, which is beneficial if your goal is weight loss. However, this is dependent on you choosing the right kind of protein powder.
  3. IT CAN HELP WITH MUSCLE GROWTH AND IT HAS HEALTH BENEFITS: protein intake helps with muscle growth as part of the repairing process for muscle tears. Moreover, it can also benefit your hair, nails and overall body cells since protein is a building block of all cells in the body. Most high-quality protein will also provide you with necessary amino acids that our bodies aren’t always able to produce.

Protein Powder Cons:

1. SOME USE IT AS A MEAL REPLACEMENT: because of the filling nature of protein powder, and the ease and convenience of protein shakes, some people have a tendency to start using shakes as a meal replacement. These people are forgetting that these shakes don’t incorporate all of the other necessary nutrients that your body needs. Protein alone isn’t enough for your body to function on!
  2. MANIPULATIVE MARKETING OF IT: competition between brands can result in deceptive marketing. Protein powder manufacturers have been known to mislead customers with regards to the sugar content of their products. Although rare, some producers of protein powders don’t list ingredients such as stimulants and steroids, which should be avoided, on their packaging.
  3. IT HAS POSSIBLE HEALTH HAZARDS: when excessive protein is consumed, it can cause health issues such as bloating, fatigue, dehydration and headaches. It could also result in issues with kidney function and bone loss due to excessive calcium excretion.

In summary, protein powders can be very beneficial when consumed in a RESPONSIBLE manner that is suited to YOUR body and YOUR needs.  

Fatema Valikarimwala 

Featured image courtesy of Marco Verch via Flickr. Image license found here

Article image courtesy of Marco Verch via Flickr. Image license found here

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved!

FoodLifestyle