Food

Parent-Friendly Dining in Nottingham

Laura Russell

Nottingham boasts a broad foodie scene, offering many dining options, including those suited to a student’s budget. However, if your parents are visiting you this term then you have the perfect opportunity to enjoy a slightly more sophisticated meal, hopefully funded for you! Whether they’re just stopping by for a quick lunch or wanting to take you out for a lavish dinner before your return to student living, Laura Russell has rounded up the best parent-approved restaurants in Nottingham…

Brunch & lunch

Bear

36A Carlton Street, NG1 1NN

Sunday – Thursday: 9 am – 5 pm. Friday & Saturday: 9 am – 11 pm.

Best for: The relaxed feel, simple interiors and great coffee. 

Must-try dish: Avocado & Pea smash with cumin-roasted coconut.

Whilst there are now 7 Bear restaurants across the country, each retains the feel of an independent café, making it the perfect place for a casual farewell brunch with mum or dad. 

The menu has all the usual brunch items you’d expect – think eggs on toast, granola, and a full English, but also features shakshuka, Turkish eggs and their Angry Mac burger. Try the Avocado & Pea Smash with cumin-roasted coconut for a twist on your usual smashed avocado. 

Price range: Brunches range from £5.20 for their house-made granola to £13.40 for the full house breakfasts, whereas the lunch options sit between £13 and £17. 

Delilah Fine Foods

12 Victoria Street, NG1 2EX

Monday – Saturday: 9 am – 5 pm. Sunday: 10 am – 4 pm.

Best for: A quick bite in a gourmet deli setting.

Must-try dish: Delilah’s twist on a traditional afternoon tea; their Afternoon Cheese for Two. 

Delilah Fine Foods is primarily an independent delicatessen. Still, the upstairs mezzanine also boasts a range of breakfast and lunch options featuring some of the products on offer in the deli.  

If your parents are feeling particularly generous, they might even treat you to a few items from the deli downstairs to upgrade your student cooking. 

Price Range

Breakfasts cost from £6.50 for the likes of eggs on toast or granola, to £14.50 for Delilah’s gourmet breakfast. Lunch is from £7 for the soup of the day to £15.50 for a chicken burger.

Yolk

29 Goose Gate, NG1 1FE

Tuesday – Sunday: 8 am – 5 pm (kitchen closes at 3 pm). Closed Mondays. 

Best for: Its casual brunch, veggie and vegan options, dog friendly.

Must-try dish: The Hashville. Nothing beats a posh hash brown. 

Sister restaurant to 31k (below), yolk serves up a classic but delicious brunch menu. Whilst yolk’s main focus is (obviously!) on perfect eggs, it is also known for its sunny interior and great vegetarian/vegan options. The dog-friendly outdoor patio makes this the perfect spot if your pup is joining you on drop-off day! 

With just 7 items on offer, the menu is small but perfectly formed, allowing yolk to ensure each dish is just right. 

Price range: All dishes cost £12, except for the Full English, which is £14.50. 

Dinner

Mowgli Street Food

1 Stoney Street, NG1 1LG

Monday – Thursday: 11:30 am – 10 pm. Friday & Saturday: 11:30 am – 10:30 pm. Sunday: 11:30 am – 9:30 pm.

Best for: Authentic Indian street food in a trendy, laid-back setting. 

Must-try dish: Bunny Chow, an Indian South African chicken curry, served inside a bread loaf. 

Mowgli describes their Nottingham restaurant as “cool, restrained and bohemian”, reflected in the unique concept of having swings as seats. The restaurant is relaxed but vibrant, with a variety of dishes which complement its mission to serve traditional Indian street food with a modern twist. 

If you’re overwhelmed by the options, order the Office Worker’s Tiffin for a selection of 4 dishes chosen by the chef – this is what I always order, as it’s such a great way to try a range of flavours and discover a new favourite curry! 

Price range: Main dishes range from £9 to £13. Tiffin boxes on the other hand cost £20 (with it being £18 for a vegetarian option).

31K

31 Goose Gate, NG1 1FE

Tuesday – Thursday: 4 pm – 11 pm. Friday: 4 pm – 12 am. Saturday: 10:30 am – 12 am. Sunday: 10:30 am – 10 pm. Closed Mondays.

Best for: Great cocktails and an adventurous British menu.

Must-try dish: Up to you! This unique menu allows customers to choose different components and effectively create their personalised dishes. 

31k’s menu consists of a 4×3 grid, whereby you select one main meat/fish/vegan alternative, one sauce, one carb product and one green. It’s a unique concept and one that can’t be explained unless you take a look at the menu yourself…

Each of the individual components works well together, so if you pick ingredients you like, then you’re guaranteed a delicious meal – literally made for you

Price range: All mains are £12, although the steak carries a £3 surcharge. Sides come in at a very reasonable £5, and puddings are just £6.  

Coco Tang

8 Byard Lane, NG1 2GJ 

Tuesday – Thursday: 12 pm – 8:30 pm. Friday & Saturday: 12 pm – 9 pm. Sunday: 12 pm – 6 pm. Closed Mondays. Also open later for drinks downstairs. 

Best for: Seafood dishes and exciting cocktails.

Must-try dish: The Pacific Platter, a sharing seafood platter for two.

Coco Tang is a lovely Asian café serving up the best Vietnamese cuisine – think pho, summer rolls and fresh flavours. They prefer walk-ins here, so this is a great shout if you’re heading into town with nothing booked. 

This particular restaurant holds a special place in my heart as it was the first restaurant I tried in Nottingham, on my first day of first year. I very tactfully convinced her to donate to Christina Noble Children Foundation on our way out, and would advise you to do the same… a £10 donation to the Vietnamese charity will get you 20% off all food & drink for the next 3 months, which I definitely made the most of at their underground cocktail bar!

Price range: Mains vary in size but range from £11.50 to £19, whilst sharing platters are between £35 and 38, serving two. Cocktails cost a minimum of £9.50 to £11.50, but be sure to visit the basement bar for student discounts all night on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays. 

Mesa 

24-26 Goose Gate, NG1 1FF

Tuesday – Friday: 5 pm – 10 pm. Saturday: 1 pm – 10 pm. Closed on Sundays & Mondays. 

Best for: Big and small sharing-style dishes.

Must-try dish: Anything wood-fired – it‘s their speciality.

Whilst Mesa’s sharing plate concept is certainly taken from Spanish tapas, the items on the menu are not limited to one certain style of cuisine, so this is a great restaurant if you can’t quite decide what food you fancy. 

At the time of writing, the menu has Indian influences in the cod with a Goan curry sauce, as well as a nod to Koreain in their wood-fired lamb tsukune with kimchi gochujang. All this alongside a pork chop with a French sauce charcuterie makes for a deliciously unique menu. 

Price range: Plates cost between £7.50 and £14, whilst sharing plates vary from £19 to £25. As with the prices, the size of these dishes range across the menu – you are probably best off asking the waiter or waitress how many dishes to order, as when my parents and I first ate here, we massively over-ordered! 

Laura Russell

Featured image courtesy of Laura Russell. Permission to use granted to Impact. No changes were made to these images.

For more content including Uni News, Reviews, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

If you just can’t get enough of Lifestyle, like our Facebook as a reader or contributor

FoodFood ReviewsFood ReviewsLifestyle