Trailer Watch: Avengers: Endgame

James takes a look at the highly anticipated trailer for Avengers 4

The much awaited Avengers 4 trailer is finally here, after so much waiting I was beginning to think it would never arrive. Unsurprisingly, the trailer opens where Infinity War left off, with Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) stranded on The Benatar (The Guardians’ ship), stranded in space after leaving Titan.

Hopefully by this point I’m not spoiling anything from Infinity War, but Tony and Nebula (Karen Gillan) are the only survivors on Titan post-snap. However, in the opening shot Tony explains he is totally alone, whilst recording a final message for his fiancé, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), stating “part of the journey is the end”.

This poignant moment is underpinned by the devastatingly harrowing score as the ship drifts through the abyss, when Tony says “when I drift off I will dream about you” before shutting off his helmet for the final time. This moment has been built up over 11 years since Iron Man, and culminating in Spiderman: Homecoming, when he finally proposed to Pepper.

“We then cut to the Marvel Studios Logo, which dusts away like its fallen heroes”

We then cut to the Marvel Studios Logo, which dusts away like its fallen heroes as the score swells. This moment gave me goose bumps the first time I saw it, and every time since.

Afterwards, we see a shot lifted directly from the Infinity Gauntlet comics of Thanos’ armour hung up as a scarecrow before a close up follow shot of his gauntlet-wielding hand brushing through the crops.

It then cuts to the Avengers facility where the devastation caused by Thanos’ snap is realised. Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) explains “He wiped out 50% of all living creatures”.

Meanwhile, we follow Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), unable to contain the tears rolling down his newly clean shaven cheek, a brooding Thor (Chris Hemsworth),  and Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) head in hands as he sees a list of missing people including Scott Lang (Paul Rudd), Shuri (Letitia Wright) and of course Peter Parker (Tom Holland).

Possibly the coolest moment in the trailer is when Romanoff goes to Japan to track down a hooded figure dressed in black, wiping a sword on his arm. He removes the hood to reveal an edgier, angrier version of Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner). He has ditched the Purple suit and Bow and Arrow to become ‘Ronin’, a lawless rebirth of Hawkeye, out for revenge after the death of his family. From this, we can assume two things: Firstly, YES, Hawkeye will be in in Avengers 4. Secondly, we can assume that some, if not all of his family were killed in the snap.

“YES, Hawkeye will be in in Avengers 4″

Rogers then ditches the Blacked out Captain America suit seen in Infinity War, for his Shield suit, worn in Captain America: Winter Soldier. A fitting choice as that film explored a world so marred by politics and espionage that Captain America no longer knew what to fight for. This sentiment is echoed as Rogers resigns “I know it is [going to work], because I don’t know what I’m gonna do if it doesn’t” before the big title reveal.

I may have ruined it in the title of the article, but as the dust particles reassemble to form the title card, it is revealed that the film will be called Endgame. With such secrecy over the title, I can’t help but feel underwhelmed – hopefully this is not an indication of the film to come.

Then, in what must be a first-ever, there is a post-credit scene for a trailer, following a lighter tone to the bleakness of the rest of the trailer, as Lang (previously missing and presumed dead), turns up to the Avengers facility asking to be buzzed in, much to the shock of Rogers and Romanoff.

“I for one know that I will be there at midnight release”

Rudd’s comedic timing brings some much needed levity as he jokes about his forgettable identity as a hero, having to remind them: “Ant-Man, that’s me”. The final reveal then shows that Avengers: Endgame will be in cinemas in April, and I for one know that I will be there at midnight release.

James Hurman

Featured image courtesy of Marvel Entertainment via ‘Avengers: Endgame’ trailer on YouTube.

Image use licence here.

Follow @ImpactMagazine on Twitter or like the Impact Entertainment Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

EntertainmentFilm & TV